Tuesday 27 March 2012

Nollywood should focus on African culture –Uba Odi Onwudiwe



Uba Odi Onwudiwe is a Nigerian actress, moviemaker and musician based in Canada. With a crew of Nigerian filmmakers, she had taken part in over 10 movies in Canada. She has also received various honours for her works. She had a chat with Snr Correspondent, Hazeez Balogun, recently.

Your first major appearance was in ***Missing Link*** have you done any movies prior?

I first gained attention in 2003 in a U.S./Canada film ***Picking up and Dropping off***produced in Calgary by Voice Inc. I have featured in films, TV Commercials, Theatre/live shows having played the part of The Samaritan Woman at the Canadian Badlands’ ***Passion Play*** portraying the life of Jesus Christ in 2004


Doing Nigerian movies in Canada, do you consider them as Nollywood movies?

Yes, it is all about projecting African movie Industry no matter where the movie is filmed. You trained in the best acting school in Canada, do you ever think of bringing your skills to Nigeria and train budding actors and actresses? Yes, my goal and dream is to unleash African talents to the world. Why did you decide to go into acting? Acting is my passion; it is a God-given talent. I live in a country where I am considered a minority. My talent is my voice and my gift to all African children.


You won some international awards for your part in ***Missing Link***, but never got recognition from awards in Nigeria, how do you feel about that?

Projecting my culture and heritage to the western world is my fulfilment. No award will measure up to the satisfaction of being able to showcase my heritage. I am honoured to receive recognition for my work and contribution to Nollywood and Canada. Nigeria is my fatherland; I do not need an award to be proud of who I am. Which of the awards do you cherish most? Best Actress Award by the Nigerian High Commissioner to Canada, Prof. Iyowuese Hagher, a professor of theatre arts who saw my work on a big screen at the premiere of ***Missing Link***. An award from him gives value and courage to my career. As an overseas trained actress knowing that I have the Nigerian flavour well rooted in me is a plus.


You are also into music, how do you describe your music.

Mine is an authentic African Hi-life/Folk music. It is a celebration of my heritage, culture and tradition. All songs are composed and written by me and I am proud to be an African.




Music is doing well in Nigeria these days, but you do not seem to care about promoting your music over here?

I do care but I needed to raise my kids. Promotion takes a lot of travelling and commitment. I am not ready to be away from my family yet. I tried doing that from here but was left with so much regret. When I find the right people to promote my music I will take it from there.


How is your work accepted over there?

Very well, as Canadians would say awesomely well. Nollywood made history in Canada and I am very proud to be a part of this history.


There are lots of Nigerians in Canada; do you think there are enough to make Nigerian production in that country lucrative?

Yes, Nigerian movie is not only for Nigerians. All Africans and Caribbean cannot wait to see Nollywood Canada grow, including Canadians.


What are you working on at the moment?
I am getting ready to start shooting another Nigerian movie. Sorry, I cannot say much about this production, at the moment.


You were born in Nigeria; tell us about your early years in the country.

I was born at Ogbo-Hill Aba. I am a native of Nkwerre in Imo State and by marriage, a native of Ifite Ogbunike in Anambara State. I went to St. Catherine’s Girl’s Secondary School Nkwerre. I went into nursing training and later owned a Clothes Boutique, Dubbaa Fashions, in Owerri, Imo State. In 1997 I graduated from Wesley Theological College, University of Nigeria, Nsukka, before I left Nigeria with my kids to Canada in 1999, to join my husband. I later trained as an actress and also a professional Security Investigator with masters in computer technology. I work as a pass control officer at Calgary international airport – Transport Canada Security Clearance. Growing up as an only child, I beat loneliness with composing whatever that came to my mind, following my mother’s footsteps that had her own musical group then. After supper in the evenings I entertained my father who loved Highlife music, by dancing and sing along. When my father died, music became a connection between our souls, a bond that led to the release of my albums and my passion in acting. I can proudly say that life in Nigeria was great; it is a part of me that I will never trade for anything. It fashioned me to the woman that I am today.


You started the Nigerian Canadian Beauty Queen initiative, what is it about?

It is all about giving young Nigerian Canadian girls a chance to appreciate true African Beauty, our cultural presentation and heritage. It is a way to encourage young Nigerian women to appreciate our epic values in a foreign land, to be comfortable in their own skin. By the way, I received a Nollywood Induction Certificate Award as recognition of my hard work in projecting Nigerian beauty and heritage in Canada




Let us into your family life.

I am a proud mother of three wonderful children, a boy and two girls. My son, Obiora is 20 years old and is working on becoming a medical doctor at the University of Alberta, Canada. My first daughter, Adaeze is 18 years old who just graduated from Grade 12 and will be joining the brother at the same University. My baby, Amaka, is 16 years old, in Grade 11; she is more into arts. I have been married for 21 years to Dr. Herbert Odi Onwudiwe. Without my husband’s unshakable support I would not get to this point; he is my hero.


With all your achievements and work, will you say you are successful?

My prayer is to touch lives and make my mark. The World is like a stage and everyone must play a part. Let my part in this life be a blessing. I can proudly say that my God has brought me to success and great achievements in this lifetime.


In which areas do you think Nollywood needs changes?

Nollywood should focus on African culture, tradition and heritage. It is a shame to see my people struggling to portray western culture in some of Nigerian movies, why can we not be proud of whom God made us to be. Why can we not put our children into consideration, why are we so hungry to copy what is not in our blood making mockery of our land. Nollywood should focus in showcasing our epic values to the world. Living outside Nigeria has made me to value my culture more, I am holding onto it with every breath I take because I owe it to my grand children.


As an African producer and an actress in Canada, what are your major challenges?

Being able to project my African heritage and values in a foreign land with an accent is challenging. Creating more awareness for Nollywood is really a hard nut to crack.





Which were your most embarrassing moments?

Saying something to myself in Igbo at work while dealing with a very rude client and a white Canadian pilot standing near me replied to me in Igbo. I said, 'God have mercy in Igbo and the pilot replied me in Igbo: “nne” (my sister) you need the prayer. I was so shocked and embarrassed, till this day. I found out that the pilot used to live in Port Harcourt.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! she's beautiful no matter what you do Dakota Johnson....Charlie Hunnam... looks cool i'm sure...Movie Will Be gr8 ..
    Christian Grey

    ReplyDelete