Saturday 28 January 2012

MY FATHER'S LAST ACTION-BARRISTER DEBE SYLVESTER OJUKWU

pix shows amb. dozie nwanna(nig dep high commissioner to the UK) and wife with barr debe ojukwu

                 https://egoldproductions.sharefile.com/?cmd=d&id=a00c515296a54415  click video to hear barr debe's tribute during the Mass, video credit:eddy nil(egold productions)              
My Father’s Last Action-Barr Debe Syvester Ojukwu
The 21ist of January,2012 saw a large gathering of Nigerians and friends of Nigerians celebrating the late Igbo leader ,Chief Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu in a Requiem Mass(Mass for the Dead);held at  the Westminister  Cathedral which was built between 1895 and 1903.The Cathedral which sits about 2000 people was more than half filled despite the cold winter weather conditions. The Mass itself a conclusion of series of  such  held over several weeks by various Catholic and Igbo groups in the United Kingdom is also unprecedented in terms of Igbo people’s  gathering in the UK.
The Deceased first son, Barrister Debe Sylvester Odumegwu Ojukwu (Akpunwa Nnewi)  who flew in from Nigeria with his daughter (Stella) to grace the history making Mass seemed to be warmly welcome with the distinguished guests of top Nigerians in the UK at the events, such as Amb.Dozie Nwanna, the deputy High Commissioner of Nigeria to the United Kingdom, Executives  of CANUK ,Chief Bimbo Roberts, Mr sola Ogunseitan and so on ,Councillor Ade Aminu of Lambeth Council, London. Also in attendance was the Deputy Mayor of Enfield and an impressive representation of  Igbo Communities in the UK, who chiefly powered the event. The  new date for the final burial we learnt is the 1st of March,2012.
Speaking during and after the 2 hours long event, Barrister Debe Ojukwu led tributes to his Father. Excerpts.
We have a spiritual connection through my Father to the United Kingdom. He lived here and spent his formative years in the United Kingdom. Epsom College, Lincoln College, Oxford University ,he had his formative years also at  Mans Cadet Officers School, his final years were again spent in the  UK ,transversing some of the most excellent Medical Institutions in the UK. Name it, the London Clinic,The Wellington Hospital, and the Royal Berkshire Hospital to mention some of them. We have by birth been seriously attached to the United Kingdom, UK has been a cradle, a sanctuary and has been a home for which we will be eternally grateful. Dim Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu lived well, explaining in part our full presence here today. He was our Champion,explaining in order, our loss,our hopelessness in losing him among us. No single human being has been able to alter that trajectory called life, the sole prerogative of altering it has forever remained in the Sanctuary of the will of the Almighty. We can therefore not question God but take consolation in the life he has lived. And then fully abstract and appropriate what his life has portended. He has portended peace, unity and public service. I leave you here today to go back to Nigeria; I go back to Nigeria tomorrow morning with a message. I go back to Nigeria consoled and happy. The message I will take to Nigeria is that I met u, I met you well and I left you well.
I will rather  recount one  of my Father’s  last actions because in the last days he wanted to say much but because of the attack he lost his voice and when I was at Wellington Hospital with him, I remonstrated with him, I looked at him, he saw me and was moved. I told him,not for you but for the people, that God’s promise in the Bible is that his people will not perish and things you represent in people. If you leave us now, what will the People do? I touched his head and he brought back the last ounce of energy in him and press his head against me, so, when I told him I was going, he felt it so much. Then at the Royal Hospital, at each visit, I say the Rosary for two weeks with my family. He and I were Mass Servers in earlier years hence I always say the Cradle, he always loved   the Mass said in Latin, so in my last prayer with him when I took the Canticle of the Saints totally and when we said the Grace, he wanted to shout Amen. And he made this noise that I shook and wanted to ask who said that?. My wife, his Chief of Staff and everyone could not believe it. He wanted to say the prayers but the voice was failing gradually.
He was a very loving father, a consummate Administrator and Politician. That was how he came across to me, in our privacy,you see the real him playing out.
                                                        

2 comments:

  1. debe stop saying that he is your father , ojukwu is not your father , what people do for money

    ReplyDelete
  2. he is not your father , you are an imposter, did he ever call you his son ?

    ReplyDelete